Police warn of scam involving Social Insurance Numbers – Tbnewswatch.comMarch 8, 2022 By admin
THUNDER BAY POLICE SERVICE
The Thunder Bay Police Service has received a number of calls regarding individuals receiving phone calls from unknown parties representing themselves as being from Service Ontario and indicating that their Social Insurance Numbers have been breached/compromised.
The individuals then request personal information including their Social Insurance Number and request payments in the form of crypto currency. Many of the phone calls appear to be targeting students.
Anyone receiving phone calls or electronic communication that requests the transfer of funds by any means or relaying personal or banking information should be very cautious and take independent steps to verify the validity of the origin of the request. Contact the institution, government agency or bank directly and do not use links, websites or phone numbers provided by the persons making the request.
1-888-495-8501 is a toll-free number for the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and a number of on-line services provide advice on avoiding SCAMS, including the Government of Canada at https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/fraud-scams.html as well as the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada website at https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/news/canada/2019-08-16-fraud-roundup
- Car seized by police after driver fails to provide valid insurance policy – Warrington Guardian
- 'Huge, huge numbers:' insurance group sees death rates up 40 percent over pre-pandemic levels | TheHill – The Hill
- How to shop for car insurance quotes online (2021) – MarketWatch
- Insurance Auto Auctions Expands Presence in the Baltimore Area with New Facility – PR Newswire
- Gov. Wolf: State Insurance Exchange Opens Today for 2022 Health Care Coverage – pa.gov
- Dentist kicked out of a window? Insurance company reveals the strangest claims ever made – Wales Online
- Michigan Resident Sentenced After Committing More Than $15000 in Auto Insurance Fraud – Iosco County News Herald
- How to Get Auto Insurance for Salvage Vehicles and Rebuilt Titles – Paul Eisenstein
- AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Insurance Subsidiaries of OneMain Holdings, Inc. – Business Wire
- Pet Insurance Market Revolutionary Trends in Industry Statistics by 2022-2029 – ZNews Africa – ZNews Africa
- Auto insurance is going up, along with gas and cars – Marketplace
- Why is vehicle insurance a necessity and the long-term benefits associated with it? – The Week