Charlottetown police warn of increase in social insurance number phone scams – SaltwireApril 9, 2022 By admin
STORY CONTINUES BELOW THESE SALTWIRE VIDEOS
Charlottetown police are warning the public of an increased number of phone scams.
Police issued the warning after receiving eight calls reporting phone scams on Tuesday, May 4, they said in a news release.
“Incoming calls may display P.E.I. Gov or a local number,” said police. “Once answered, a pre-recorded message will play saying your SIN (social insurance number) has been stolen and will prompt you to press one and may ask you to confirm with a voice prompt, just hang up.”
Anyone who has received this type of call can report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, or online at www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca.
If you have fallen victim to this scam by sending money, report it to police.
Ensure local journalism stays in your community by purchasing a membership today.
Sign up and pay only $0.99/week for your first year.
Start your Membership Now
Your home for the news
shaping Canada’s East Coast.
UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS
- Police warn of scam involving Social Insurance Numbers – Tbnewswatch.com
- Car seized by police after driver fails to provide valid insurance policy – Warrington Guardian
- How to find my National Insurance number… – The Sun
- Car insurance prices could increase for some drivers, Santa Maria experts provide tips on how to save | News Channel 3-12 – KEYT
- DWP hopes to reduce three-month processing wait for National Insurance number applications after launching digital service – Public Technology
- How to shop for car insurance quotes online (2021) – MarketWatch
- Insurance Auto Auctions Expands Presence in the Baltimore Area with New Facility – PR Newswire
- Gov. Wolf: State Insurance Exchange Opens Today for 2022 Health Care Coverage – pa.gov
- Dentist kicked out of a window? Insurance company reveals the strangest claims ever made – Wales Online
- How to get the biggest car insurance discounts – MarketWatch
- Insurance Department Announces 2022 Health Insurance Rates; Highlights More Plan Options and Increased Affordability – Governor Tom Wolf
- What Does a Billion-Dollar Verdict Mean for Casualty Insurance Buyers? – JD Supra